Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Sabbatical Day 9 (5.17.16) - ESL

My mom has been an ESL teacher at San Jose City College since her twenties. She's been trying to get me to follow in her footsteps for so long now and I was never interested enough to do anything about it.  When I decided to take a sabbatical and open the door to other careers, it made sense to explore ESL because I am moving to a foreign country with no other way to make money. 

It seems like my mom is really excited about it. She wants to give me all of her books and materials (she is also retiring next month). Yesterday, I met her at work so that we could carpool together to the mall and go shopping. She introduced me to so many people and mentioned that I was getting my ESL certificate. I'm getting a certificate online....I'm not sure if that's too much to be proud of. 

At first when I told her that I was taking a sabbatical, she wasn't too happy. She thinks we won't have enough money and that we aren't planning for our future. I hope by her parading me around she is feeling better about us traveling and trying something new. Even at 32 years old, I realize that I'll always be her child and she'll always be concerned about me.

No comments: