Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Sabbatical Day 8 - Cravings

Not going into the office definitely has its perks. I like being able to cook dinner every night. While I was working, I would end up cooking in bulk so that we'd have enough food for several meals. Because of that, I really have no idea how to cook for just one meal!

On Saturday night we had a group of friends over and I decided to make spring rolls with shrimp. I love spring rolls! I was still craving them and wanted to make more but ran out of shrimp. As we are trying to use up everything we have in our kitchen, I had to make do with what I already had. 

I remembered that I had some roasted rice powder that I took from my grandma's pantry so decided to use that to make bi chay. This is a vegetarian version of bi (pig's skin). Well, I looked up a recipe for bi chay and of course I don't have all of the ingredients so I improvised. 

The recipe called for jicama, taro, potato, rice vermicelli, and bean thread noodles. Instead of jicama, taro and potato, I had napa cabbage and bean sprouts. I ran out of rice vermicelli so I just made do with bean thread noodles. (This is like an episode of chopped!)

I also tried to grill tofu with a tamarind sauce. The tamarind was very sour and I wasn't a fan but am determined to make use of the sauce again!



As it turns out, I thought I was just cooking for one meal for one person but I still made too much food. I was pretty full after eating two, but stuffed the third into my belly anyways. Luckily James was willing to take the last one off my hands!

No comments: