Saturday, July 23, 2016

Sabbatical Day 75 (7.22.16) - It's weirdly safe here

Being from San Francisco, I was always paranoid of crazy bums and getting mugged. I would never have my phone in my hand while on the bus or walking and was constantly checking my purse to make sure my wallet and phone were still in there. On top of that, when I went to restaurants, I would never hang my purse on the back of my chair. I'd awkwardly keep it behind me and sit forward in the chair so no one would steal it.

Coming to Korea I am so surprised how safe it is. First of all, I see people at coffee shops and restaurants walk away to use the bathroom (when they're by themselves) and just leave their things at the table. Yesterday we saw a shoe shop owner leave her shop for a break. She locked the store, but left the entire display of shoes outside of the store on the street.

It's so interesting to me that people here will not take what's not theirs. It seriously boggles my mind but really gives me a sense of peace that I don't have to worry here.

No comments: