Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Sabbatical Day 59 (7.6.16) - Creatives Juices

Today James and I walked around the Sinchon area again. This is about 10 minutes from where we live and there is a subway station there. Since we live around several universities, there are a lot of students and therefore lots of cheap places to eat.

We decided to eat at a dak kalbi place which is something I've never had before. First of all, it is a meat dish and I've found it difficult to bring it back into my diet. I've found that I don't like the taste anymore so it's hard for me to eat something when I don't crave it!

They sat us at a table with a large pan in the middle - it looked like a paellera, or a pan to make paella. We ordered a rice dish with chicken and beef and they came out shortly with a plate of raw chicken, beef, cabbage and onions. They threw that all onto the pan and servers took turns coming by and cooking the goodies. At the end they threw on some rice, then flattened the whole concoction so that the rice would get crunchy.

It was a pretty good meal and I even tried a few pieces of the chicken and beef.

As James and I explore the city, we seem to be thinking of things we can bring from Korea to the US and vice versa. It's interesting how there are so many efficiencies here but at the same time there are so so many inefficiencies! It's exciting because James and I get to think of things together and get our creative juices flowing. Hopefully we can think of ways to bring a little bit of the US to Korea while we are here, and do the same when we come back to the US.

1 comment:

karen said...

I am so excited to see what comes out of Korea for you and James!