Tuesday, February 16, 2010

my tet

i am back from another trip to california. this time, i was only able to go for 24 hours (yes, im nuts). it was probably the best 24 hours ever. i didn't leave on saturday until the evening so i was able to hang out friday night and saturday during the day with my visitors. then, i got to fly main cabin select with all free movies, food and booze! i also had a nice conversation with the lady sitting next to me. because of the short length of my stay, monica came and visited me and meeka's place (im very spoiled).

sunday i went to my grandma's house and helped her prepare the altar for tet. she made an awesome cheesecake and my favorite shrimp dish! i didnt get much lixi but its not about that at all anymore! it was just really really nice to be able to hang out with my family and watch old videos, look at old pictures, and just chill.

btw tet is the vietnamese name for lunar new year. chinese people are not the only ones who celebrate it and it should NOT be called chinese new year. stop calling it that people. vietnamese and koreans also celebrate (sorry other asians if i have left you out).

now let me tell the story of once upon a time when i used to live in sf and drove to concord everyday to work. this was around 2006 when i commuted 45 min everyday to work at my first job. this one morning i was going to work and turned on my regular morning show "sarah and no name" on 97.3. i listened to this show EVERY morning religiously. it was lunar new year that day and they mentioned it (of course they called it chinese new year) and were curious about what people do on that day. they asked for callers to call in and talk about the customs from their family. so genius me decided to call in and inform them that it wasnt just chinese people who celebrated it and in fact it is a huge celebration for other asians. here is kinda how the call went:

*ring ring*
hello this is the sarah and no name show
hi, i was calling to talk about chinese new year
are you chinese?
no, but other..............
sorry youre not chinese. bye
*dial tone*

ugh i was so mad at those ignorant jerks i vowed to never listen to them again....and i still have not tuned in to them since...

1 comment:

Sharon said...

It annoys me, too, when everyone refers to it as Chinese New Year. Anyway, I can't believe you went home for 24 hours! You are insane, woman! It sounds like you had a great time.